When it comes to having hearty meal after coming home from the cold and snow, my daughter almost always demands Pasta Bolognese. Typically I make the meat version for the kids and some other dish for me and the hubs. But then I thought why don't I make the vegetarian version of Pasta Bolognese that tastes just as delicious? So here we have super yummy one pot meal Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese.
Now the name Spaghetti Bolognese/Pasta Bolognese sounds very Italian, Italians do not think this recipe belongs to them.Jump to Recipe
Why we love this recipe of Spaghetti Bolognese:
The original Bolognese sauce uses veal but this recipe is a vegetarian version and uses Mushrooms and other vegetables. Mushroom provides the meaty flavor and the vegetables are browned on the stovetop to give the dark full bodied flavor to the sauce. The recipe also uses tomatoes and Milk in its current avatar.
The Ingredients you will need:
Vegetables – Onion, Carrot, Mushroom, Celery, Garlic – Chop finely
Spices – Bayleaf, Basil, Oregano, Thyme – I used tried version but feel free to use fresh if you have it on hand
Liquids – Milk/Heavy Cream, Soy Sauce, Tomato Paste
Step by step instruction:
Heat Oil and Sauté Vegetables.
Add spices and Liquids
Cook Pasta/Spaghetti separately and mix.
I used Spaghetti but you can use any type of Pasta.
If you do not have Heavy cream, use whole milk instead
For tomato paste, you can use a mix of half Tomato Paste and half Marinara Sauce
Storing and Making ahead tips for Spaghetti Bolognese:
If at all you have any leftovers, pack it in an airtight container and refrigerate. Leftovers taste just as good.
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a five star rating – it helps other people find it.
- Large Sauce Pan, Stove
- 2 Tbsp. Butter/Olive Oil
- ¾ Cup Onion
- 2 Bayleaf
- ¾ Cup Carrot
- ¾ Cup Mushroom
- 1 Cup Celery
- 2 Fat cloves Garlic
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Basil
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Thyme
- 1 ¼ Cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- ¼ Cup Milk/Heavy Cream
- Chop all the Vegetables finely and keep aside. Mince Garlic and keep aside.
- Heat Butter or Olive Oil in a large pot.
- Heat Water for Spaghetti.
- Add Onion and Celery and Sauté for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add Carrot, Garlic and Bayleaf and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until all the vegetables are browned. Keep stirring so they do not burn.
- Add the spices, Basil, Oregano and Thyme and mix well.
- Check on the water for Spaghetti. If boiling add Salt and Spaghetti and cook for desired amount of time.
- Add Tomato paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If the mixture starts burning, add a couple of spoonfuls of water.
- Finally, add Milk and Soy sauce and mix
- Turn off the heat.
- Remove the Bayleaf and add Spaghetti to this mixture and Mix well. Add about ¼th Cup of Pasta water to everything will come together nicely.
- Preferably serve immediately.
If you like this recipe be sure to try some others