This Indian Chickpea Salad would fall under Salad recipes but also Chaat recipes. Chaat as it is called back home is popular street food especially in urban areas. Typically Chaat comes with a deep fried bread, may be some type of beans and a combination of some basic vegetables.
In this particular recipe, eliminated the Deep Fried Bread.
Instead of using complex recipe for Beans, I used simple canned Chickpeas. Added some spinach for the Greens.
The dressing is zero oil and can be easily bought at any Indian store.
Shev is easily available at any Indian store as well. If you want to make this recipe completely oil-free Chickpea Salad, you can skip the Shev.
I used Onion, Tomato and Cucumber. You can also use Carrots or Capsicum. Top it with Cilantro/Coriander Leaves.
Add some avocado to make this Avocado Chickpea Salad more decadent.
Why we love this recipe:
Indian Chickpea Salad is easy to make with some store bought ingredients.
The dressing made of Tamarind, dates and Mint chutney makes a wonderful Mint flavored Chickpea Salad.
Tamarind and Dates add a tang to this Chickpea Salad.
You can also use boiled potatoes or Capsicum in this Salad.
Add some dried coconut flakes too if you like the taste.
The ingredients you will need:
Chickpeas – The star and the protein
Spinach – Greens in the salad
Onion, Tomato – chop onion very small and use only the amount you can tolerate.
Tamarind Date Chutney – Tangy and sweet at the same time. Easily available in Indian stores.
Mint or Coriander Chutney – Easily available. Adds Minty flavor. If you cannot find Mint chutney, use Coriander Chutney
Shev – Made with lentils using a complicated process but easily available in Indian stores. Optional for oil free Chickpea Salad
Step by step instruction for Indian Chickpea Salad:
Chop Spinach and place it in a large bowl.
Remove chickpeas from the can and rinse them.
Chop the veggies. Cut the onion in very small pieces.
Cut Tomato in medium pieces.
Peel the Cucumber first and then cut into small pieces. Pieces should not be too small.
Chop Cilantro is using.
Store bought Tamarind Chutney will need to be thinned out. So place about ½ cup chutney in a small bowl and add 3 Tbsp. of water. Mix well.
Mint or Coriander Chutney may need to be thinned out as well. Take ½ cup Chutney and add 2 Tbsp. of water and mix well.
Take the bowl with spinach and add Chickpeas.
Add Onion, tomato and Cucumber and mix well.
Add both Chutneys/dressing and mix well.
Top the salad with Shev if using and garnish with cilantro
You can also use some roasted or boiled peanuts in this recipe. Use about ½ cup.
Storing and Making ahead tips:
This Salad once mixed should be eaten right away.
If you wish make ahead, Mix everything except Spinach, Shev and the Chutneys/dressing, cover with plastic wrap and place it in the Fridge. Bring to room temperature prior to serving. Add Spinach, shev and the Chutneys/Dressing and mix well.
Can I make this Spicy Chickpea Salad?
Certainly, You can add some thinly cut green chilis. Make sure you have tasted the Green chilis before for the heat. Some of them can be very hot. Also do remove the seeds and the seeds carry most heat in the green chilis.
I don't have Green chilis - Feel free to sprinkle some Red chili powder.
Some delicious recipes to try next:
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a five star rating – it helps other people find it.
Indian Chickpea Salad | Chaat salad
- 1 Can Chickpeas 12 to 14 oz
- 2 Cups Spinach
- ¼ Cup Onion chopped
- ½ Cup Tomato chopped
- ½ Cup Cucumber chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Tamarind Date Chutney easily available in Indian stores
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. Mint or Coriander Chutney easily available in Indian stores - use bottled or frozen
- ½ Cup Shev - Skip if making this Salad as oil-free easily available in Indian stores
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala easily available in Indian stores
- ¼ Cup Cilantro - optional
- Chop Spinach and place it in a large bowl.
- Remove chickpeas from the can and rinse them.
- Chop the veggies. Cut the onion in very small pieces.
- Cut Tomato in medium pieces.
- Peel the Cucumber first and then cut into small pieces. Pieces should not be too small.
- Chop Cilantro is using.
- Store bought Tamarind Chutney/dressing will need to be thinned out. So place about ½ cup chutney in a small bowl and add 3 Tbsp. of water. Mix well.
- Add the Chaat Masala to this Chutney/dressing and mix well. Set aside.
- Mint or Coriander Chutney may need to be thinned out as well. Take ½ cup Chutney and add 2 Tbsp. of water and mix well.
- Take the bowl with spinach and add Chickpeas.
- Add Onion, tomato and Cucumber and mix well.
- Add both Chutneys/dressing and mix well.
- Top the salad with Shev if using and garnish with cilantro