Indulge in this fragrant and Flavorful Persian Love Cake with a simple sugar glaze. The cake is packed with exotic flavors of Cardamom, Rose and Pistachios.
Some History on Persian Love Cake :
For a dose of history this week, a little love. A Persian woman fell in love with a prince. To make him fall in love with her, she baked him a cake full of magical ingredients. Why you ask? because apparently the way to man's heart is through his stomach. She filled the cake with such ingredients that each bite became a love potion. The cake is truly a lover's dream.
Why we love this Persian Love Cake: Not a lot of people like Rose flavor, I admit, but when you combine it with flavorful Cardamom and add a hint of Saffron the combination makes it truly indulgent. This fragrant cake will make you fall in love with its ingredients. I have made several versions of this cake, some more complicated than others. I have arrived to this recipe because it's simpler and yet doesn't compromise on flavor.
The Ingredients you will need:
For the Cake:
All Purpose Flour – Basic ingredient for most baking needs
Almond Flour – Adds the texture
Eggs and Baking powder – helps bind the batter together
Butter – Adds the airiness. Use unsalted butter for this recipe
Granulated sugar – Sweetens the batter
Cardamom, Lemon Zest, Rose Water, Vanilla Essence – Flavor! Flavor! Flavor!
For the Glaze:
Rose Water – Flavor. Do not add more or less. Make sure the quantity is exact
Whole Milk – To make the glaze pourable consistency
Pistachios – Shell and chop for color and nutty flavor
Rose Petals – For visual effect
Step by Step Instructions to make the Persian Love Cake:
Baking Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray Bundt pan generously with pam baking spray Butter flavor. Alternatively, you can also butter the pan and dust it with flour. Remove excess flour
Sift the dry ingredients: Sift all dry ingredients except Sugar in a bowl and keep aside
Wet Ingredients: Mix the Wet ingredients in the order mentioned in the recipe below
Bake the Cake: Pour the batter, level out and bake
Cool the cake: let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Loosen it with a knife and slide it onto the cooling rack. Cool completely before glazing
For the Glaze:
Mix all the ingredients for glazing. Microwave for 1 minutes and then for 20 seconds each time until the glaze has liquefied.
Pour the glaze all over the Cake
Garnish with Pistachios and Rose petals
Storing and Making ahead tips for this easy cake recipe:
You can make the cake and wrap it tightly in a plastic wrap and store in the Refrigerator for 3 days.
You can store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Before using it bring it to room temperature and Glaze.
If you would like to make this Cake extra special, heat ¼ cup of Sugar with ¼ Cup of water. Once Sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and add a pinch of Saffron. Wait for 5 minutes and then pour this mixture evenly over the Cake. This will add an extra layer of flavor to the Cake.
Easy Persian Love Cake
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer, Oven, Bundt Cake pan or 8 inch cake pan
For the Cake
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Almond Flour You can also use Almond Meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 12 Cardamom pods Remove the seeds and powder the seeds
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs Room temperature
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Rose Water
- 3 Tbsp. Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Chopped Pistachios as needed for the Cake and Garnishing divided in half
- Organic Rose Petals as needed for Garnishing
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray Bundt pan generously with pam baking spray Butter flavor. Alternatively, you can also butter the pan and dust it with flour. Remove excess flour
- Sift dry ingredients All Purpose Flour, Almond Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a Stand Mixer, cream Butter with paddle attachment, after couple of minutes add eggs and beat for another minute. Add Sugar and beat until everything is incorporated well together.
- To the cream mixture, add Lemon zest, Vanilla extract and Rose water and mix well.
- Turn the mixer to lowest speed and slowly add the dry ingredients half cup at a time. Mix everything together well for about 3 minutes or more as needed.
- Add chopped Pistachios and mix gently.
- Pour the mixture in the cake pan, the mixture will be slightly thicker so make sure it is leveled in the cake pan.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Insert a skewer or toothpick. If it comes out clean then remove the cake from the oven.
- Let the cake cool in the cake pan for about 8 to 10 minutes. Then remove the cake on the cooling rack and let it cool completely.
For the Glaze
- Add a pinch of saffron to Milk and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mix all the ingredients for glazing in a bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minutes and then for 20 seconds each time until the glaze has liquefied to pourable consistency.
Assemble the Cake
- Place the cake on a cake plate.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake to cover top of the cake completely.
- Garnish with chopped Pistachios and Rose Petals