Although Beetroot is a healthy vegetable, it can be hard to sell to the kids because of its strong flavor.
In the Beetroot Soup recipe below I have added other vegetables and some spices to make it delicious. Beets contain mainly water and fairly low in calorie. They also contain Folate, manganese, potassium and Vitamin C they provide excellent nutritional benefits. Apparently, the body converts substances from Beetroot into Nitric Acid which helps the blood vessels dilate and blood pressure goes down.
Why we love this recipe:
Easy to make without lot of equipment
Can be made in an Instant pot. See recipe variations below.
Can you beat that beautiful color?
Make it Vegan. See in recipe variations below.
The ingredients you will need for Beetroot Soup:
Beets - The star of the show
Onion, Carrot, Tomato paste - some added nutrients
Butter or Canola Oil - the fats
Bay Leaf - Flavoring
Ginger and Garlic paste - More flavoring
Black Pepper, Cloves - and even more flavoring. This also reduces the strong Beet flavor
Vegetable stock or water - To thin out the consistency
Heavy Cream or Coconut Milk - to make the soup creamy
Mint for garnishing
Step by step instruction:
Chop – Peel and Chop the Beets, Carrot, and onion in small pieces
Make Paste – Mince Ginger and Garlic to make a paste
Heat – Heat the Butter in a large saucepan
Sauté – Sauté Onion fist for 2 minutes. Add Ginger and Garlic Paste, Bay leaf, Powdered Clove and Powdered Black Pepper. Sauté for another minute. Add all the vegetables including Tomato paste.
Simmer - Add the Vegetable Stock and simmer. Adjust seasoning and add salt as needed.
Blend - Run through the blender
Make it creamy - Add Coconut Milk or Heavy Cream
Garnish – Garnish with Mint leaves
Recipe Variations for Beet Soup Recipe:
If you are not fond of garlic, you can skip it.
Use shallots instead of Onion if you prefer.
Make it in an Instant Pot - If you prefer to make it in an Instant pot, after sautéing add the stock and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Natural release pressure and then Blend.
Make it Vegan – Swap Butter with Canola Oil and Swap Heavy Cream with 1 can of Coconut Milk
Storing and Making ahead tips:
The soup can stay well in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Warm before serving.
Some delicious recipes to try next:
If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a five star rating – it helps other people find it.
Beetroot Soup Recipe
- Stove top, Blander
- 2 Beets medium size
- 1 Onion medium size
- 1 Carrot medium size
- ½ Cup Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or Canola Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp. Ginger and Garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Cloves Powdered
- 2 Cups Vegetable stock or water more as needed for consistency
- 1 Can Heavy Cream or Coconut Milk Adjust as per your liking
- Mint for garnishing few sprigs
- Peel the Beets and chop them in small pieces
- Chop Carrot and onion in small pieces.
- Mince Ginger and Garlic to make a paste if you are not using readymade paste. You can find the ready paste in Indian stores
- Heat the Butter in a large saucepan. Use Canola Oil if making it Vegan.
- Add Bay Leaf and Onion to the Pan and Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add Ginger and Garlic Paste and sauté for another minute.
- Add Powdered Clove and Powdered Black Pepper. Sauté some more making sure Onion doesn't burn. Add a Tbsp. of water if you feel it is starting to burn.
- Add all the vegetables including Tomato paste and sauté for few more minutes.
- Add the Vegetable Stock and simmer. You can use water if you do not have the stock or broth.
- Adjust seasoning and add salt as needed.
- Add all the mixture to the blender and blend. I use a hand blender but any blender will do the job.
- Pour it back in the saucepan.
- Add Coconut Milk or Heavy Cream and mix properly.
- Serve in individual bowls.
- Garnish with Mint leaves.